Re: Debian man pages have annoying feature(sic)

On Tue 02 Jun 2020 at 06:13:00 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/30/2020 04:05 PM, David Wright wrote:

> > > Yes. A "webby" solution can have two benefits in my environment:
> > >    a. may minimize download downloaded byte count.
> > >    b. following intervening links and cross references can lead to
> > >       answering important un-asked questions.
> >
> > For man pages, I type   man foo   into google. That usually throws
> > up one or two links from different sources.
> > [snip]
>
> You missed my point entirely. I have accessed the man page via
> https://manpages.debian.org/ . It lacks information *CRITICAL* to
> whether or not to install the package. It skirts the issue by
> referring to a file which will exist, *if and only if*, the package
> has already been installed. I.E. classical infinite loop ;}

My References header includes two of you posts. The first says

    "NOTE BENE This post is about man pages as a class"

and the second says

    "A "webby" solution can have two benefits in my environment"

as seen above. I ignored your little complaint about a specific man
page; instead, I addressed the Debian man pages in the subject line,
and particularly when the name of the command or package is hazy.

Thanks to Andrei for the list of references.

Cheers,
David.