Re: Virtualize a Debian system within Manjaro

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > There is an office where the standard desktop OS is Manjaro (a
> > > clone of Arch Linux). There is not much choice actually.
> > >
> > > I don't very much like Manjaro's packaging system and its lack of many
> > > essential packages in binary format. When I need something as simple as
> > > codesearch or apg or dateutils, it tries to compile them.
> > >
> > > Willing to run a Debian instance within Manjaro, what's my best choice?
> > >
> > > The easiest thing that comes to mind is installing VirtualBox in
> > > Manjaro, but are there less resource-intensive and GUI-dependent
> > > options? Maybe some kind of chroot or container?
> >
> > 'systemd-nspawn'. You can use 'debootstrap' to create the Debian chroot,
> > it was explicitly created to run also on other distributions (it's
> > written in shell).
>
> Thanks you, I'll definitely look into that. It that it?
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-nspawn#Create_a_Debian_or_Ubuntu_environment

Just tried debootstrap+systemd-nspawn (Debian on Debian). It reminds me
very much of the FreeBSD jail infrastructure. No unnecessary hardware
emulation.

If it works well on Arch Linux, I'm going to use it there. Thank you
Andrei for the good advice.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/