DE menu customization

Hi,

How do you deal with your desktop environment menu customization please?
Manually? Or via some softwares like MenuLibre or Alacarte?
Do you have specific advice except reading https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/index.html?

I would like to rearrange my Debian 10 Xfce "Applications" menu but it doesn't seem to be so easy...
* MenuLibre: the interface is nice & the intention is laudable but I don't always succeed in moving applications from one category to another (category tags come back frequently after my modifications as some config files take precedence) + I lost my Wine submenu...
* Alacarte: it made my whole menu disappearing: my ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu has been emptied after I moved an application some positions down. I've copied /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu in ~/.config/menus and now all my categories are duplicated (removing ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu totally doesn't help) ...
In short, more I dig with those tools, worse it becomes.
That's why I'm  wondering if this would not be easier to do the modifications manually...

Thank you in advance :)
Best regards,
l0f4r0