Re: Return a Debian system to a pristine state

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> A production system, especially a desktop system, tends to accumulate
> unnecessary packages. Users install software for testing, then forget
> about it, or it falls into disuse...
>
> In FreeBSD, you can always run "pkg delete -a" and return to the
> post-install state (well, almost). This command will remove all the
> third-party packages added to the base system after installation
> (modified files under /usr/local/ will remain).
>
> What's the procedure for Debian?

It helps to only look installed packages marked automatic but lots of
system programs and libraries are marked as such. I'd expect a 'base'
metapackage of some sort...

...which ties into the remark made a few times in this thread which is
that there is no singular set of base packages. But then at least have
tasksel do something like that.

Admittedly I just don't know a lot about Debian packages but as a user
I have the same concern as Victor.

Sijmen