Re: USB controller resets when burning CD

deloptes wrote:

Unfortunately, trying different USB ports does not make any difference,
as
all my external USB ports belong to the same controller. Would like to
try
your other suggestion, unloading xhci_hcd and let the system fall back
ehci_hcd. How do I do that? I tried blacklisting xhci_hcd, following
the
instructions in the Debian Kernel Manual Chapter 6. When I rebooted,
xhci_hcd loaded anyhow.

sudo rmmod xhci_hcd ?

Unfortunately, it is not that simple. The initial challenge is rmmod refuses to remove xhci_hcd, saying it is already in use. I figured out that challenge. First you have to remove xhci_pci, then it will let you remove xhci_hcd. The bigger challenge is, removing the xhci modules leaves all the external USB ports disabled. I was hoping the system would fall back to using ehci_hcd for those ports, but no such luck. Maybe I need to reinitialize something?