Re: udev alzheimers

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 08:23:55AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> greetings all;
>
> Since updating to stretch, udev has been randomly swapping ttyUSB0 and
> ttyUSB1 and sometimes ttyUSB2 around, confusing the hell out of heyu, a
> trs-80-coco3, and occasionally even nut.  Nut (apc ups) is not on a
> usb-serial adapter, it just a usb cable but the other 2 are on
> individually unique FTDI adaptors.
>
> What udev persistent file, and where is it, do I edit and chattr +i to
> effect a permanent cure for this apparently random device renaming?

I don't know about this one -- but note that the files in /etc
(i.e. /etc/udev/rules.d) are yours to play with and override the
distro's, which are in /lib/udev/rules.d. So you shouldn't (TM)
muck around with chattr.

> And whats the command to restart udev from a clean slate without
> rebooting?

I don't know by heart, but something with udevadm (perhaps
'udevadm trigger'). Probably you need an 'udevadm control reload'
for udev to see the changes you made to its configuration.

Also possibly useful are 'udevadm monitor' and 'udevadm test'.

My hunch is that the rules which recognize your USB adapters
have somehow changed and that it can't reliably distinguish
among the individual fobs.