Re: Changing timestamps in video files

On 4/29/20, elvis <elvis@dogonfire.com> wrote:

> On 29/4/20 8:29 pm, Anders Andersson wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:57 PM Steve Keller <keller.steve@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Is there any tool in Debian that is able to change the timestamp in
>>> video files, e.g. .mov, .avi, .mp4, etc.?
>>>
>>> For image files I use jhead -ta<offset> <file> but I haven't found
>>> anything for video.
>> $ ls -gGh faked_evidence.avi
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 700M Apr 29 12:26 faked_evidence.avi
>> $ touch -t 0512241337 faked_evidence.avi
>> $ ls -gGh faked_evidence.avi
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 700M Dec 24  2005 faked_evidence.avi
>
> Don't try that on faked_evidence.pdf
>
> Pdfs have an internal timestamp you need to change as well.
>

> I think this is what he wants for movie files, but I am not sure they
> have the time encoded into them...

At least some movie files DO have the time encoded into them. I can't
remember which one of my cameras does this, but one of them gives the
camera's "birthday" as the timestamp for ALL of the THOUSANDS of
videos I've ever taken with it. It does stamp images with the correct
information. Must all be why it was available secondhand. :)

The details escape me now, but, at some point, I tripped over that
there IS some kind of internal stamp that IS correct. However I
encountered a usage case that outed that, the timestamp some Debian
package or another disclosed corresponded with the JPEG files that
were numerically in the same daily directory with the video I was
processing at the time.. Was a major *YEEHAW* moment when it occurred.

Just can't remember which software package was the HERO that day. If
it wasn't a Debian package, it's possible Youtube was what disclosed
that data, instead, after the video was posted online...

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *