Re: lsof outputs nothing

On Sunday 17 May 2020 06:25:20 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 01:04:23PM +0300, aprekates wrote:
> > In Buster lsof wont report anything
> >
> > $ sudo  lsof
> > lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse file system /run/user/1000/doc
> >       Output information may be incomplete.
>
> Most likely this fuse filesystem was not mounted with "allow_other"
> option. Its contents is inaccessble to root, hence lsof behaviour is
> expected.
>
> Do you really need "*sudo* lsof"? Ordinary lsof will do its job just
> fine as long as it's your user's processes that you're interested in.
>
> Reco

If running your own webserver, like I do, faceing the net, in a
permissions sandbox, then the answer is a resounding yes. I'm on a cable
dsl so I'm online all the time.  And with a limited bandwidth, its
paramount that I keep the bots blocked else they use up all my upload
bandwidth. I don't mind them indexing the place, but way too many think
its their right to mirror everything they can find and that can easily
use up my available bandwidth. But in the last 6 months they've learned
how to keep their identities better wrapped, so my regular logs don't
show them, nor identify the files they are sucking. But I still see the
bandwidth being used. Apache2's logging sucks.

So yes Reco, sudo lsof can be very helpfull.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis