Re: Server goes to sleep

On 16/5/20 10:15 pm, Henning Follmann wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 11:39:44AM -0700, Chris Rhodin wrote:
Hi,

I've installed Debian Buster on a desktop system I use as a server.  I also
occasionally use this as a regular desktop system so it has a monitor,
keyboard, and GUI.  During installation I selected the ssh server in
tasksel (so during installation there was some indication this was a
server).

The problem I have is that when the console screen goes black and locks,
the system becomes unresponsive to network activity.  If I have an ssh
session running when this occurs it stops responding.  It doesn't kick me
off, the ssh connection is still there.  If I then go to the console and
shake the mouse the screen lights up and the ssh session starts responding
like nothings wrong, until the console goes to sleep again.

Searching online I found this command which seems to solve the problem:

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target
hybrid-sleep.target

So my question is what is the correct way to manage this?  Is there a
document that goes over the various power states and how they impact
running services?

ChrisR
Just disable following targets:

systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

That will avoid the system going to sleep.

Instead of doing that, wouldn't the "correct" way involve editing /etc/systemd/sleep.conf ?

I ask because I edited the file and the system seems to have still gone to sleep..  what is the point of a conf file if you still have to mess with the base unit files?

-H

--
Wasting time is an important part of life.