Re: Debian 10 installer using serial output

On 5/14/2020 7:36 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
Hi all

I would like to install Debian on a headless board using a USB drive.
The board has a serial port and I would like to use that to install
Debian 10 using netinst.

It is an APU board [1]. I found a guide [2] on how to install Debian 9.
Unfortunately I get stuck at step 4 where the installer should be
configured to use the serial console:
"Press H, enter the following parameters and press Enter."
`install console=ttyS0,115200n8`

I can see the board's BIOS and select the USB installation media. But
the Debian installer only prints "ISOLINUX 6.04 20190226 EHDD"
Pressing H and typing the install command does not enable the serial
console of the installer.

 From the LED of the USB drive I can see that is reacts to keyboard
inputs (e.g. when pressing enter), so the installer is loaded. But no
output is printed on the terminal console.

Is there an easy way to enable the console which I just don't know how
to do?

Even with Debian 9 (which was used in the guide [2]) I cannot see the
"Debian GNU/Linux installer boot menu".

How can I enable the serial console on the Debian installer?

Looks like you should re'cp' the iso file onto your usb stick.

Did you checksum/verify the iso file before copying it on the usb stick?

If you see the option the Debian installer page (Graphical install',
'install', 'install with speatch') press escape use the below at the
boot prompt

boot: install console=ttys0,115200n8 vga=none

Which OS are you using to prepare your usb stick?
If Debian, 'cp *.iso /dev/sdb' is enough.

--
John Doe