Re: R performance

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 08:16:52AM -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Mark Fletcher wrote on 5/12/20 7:34 AM:
> > Hello
> >

> I have noticed that recent versions of R supplied by debian are using all the
> available cores instead of just one. I don't know whether that's a debian
> change or an R change, but it certainly makes things much faster (one of my
> major complaints about R was that it seemed to be single threaded, so I'm very
> glad that, for whatever reason, that's no longer the case).

Thanks, but definitely not the case here. When running on my own
machine, top shows the process at 100% CPU, the load on the machine
heading for 1.0, and the Gnome system monitor shows one CPU vCore
(hyperthread, whatever) at 100% and the other 7 idle.

R is certainly _capable_ of using more of the CPU than that, but you
have to load libraries eg snow and use their function calls to do it -- in
short, like in many languages, you have to code for parallelism. I tried
to keep parallelism out of this experiment on both machines being
compared.

Mark