Re: unexpected behavior of cp and mv

Hi,

Alberto Sentieri wrote:
> I tried setfattr as you suggested with "user" and without "user". Both
> failed with "Operation not supported" and none of them changed the
> timestamp.

This only leaves the idea to mimick the strace of cp -p in an own
C program to see whether utimensat() has the desired effect and
whether following calls spoil it.
Maybe it is necessary to really create a new file and to write
some realistic amount of data to it in order to set up the conditions
for the problem.

The code of cp.c and copy.c in
  https://sources.debian.org/src/coreutils/8.30-3/src/
looks not overly self-contained. So it might be difficult to get a
debuggable version of cp, if not Debian package development magic can
produce it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas