Re:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 06:53, Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent thread got me to thinking. So I checked my primary (only
> installed) ssd:

> sudo smartctl --test=long /dev/sda

> I don't really know how to interpret this,

Ok, if you dont know how to interpret this, then I'd suggest that
the first step might be to use your favourite internet
search engine to learn about the meaning of your test results.

That's what I did to find this:
https://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/MKP_306_SMART_attribute.pdf

The meaning of the SMART attribute values is defined by the manufacturer,
so it's best to check with the manufacturer of your drive.

> but it looks . . .  bad,

I spent a few seconds glancing at the results you posted of your first drive,
I didn't notice anything concerning.

> with all those "old_age" and "Pre-fail" notations.

Those are in the column headed "TYPE", they are informative about the
nature of the failure criterion, they are not test results.