Re: aptitude doesn't remove unused packages

On 2020-04-22 16:39:00 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> I don't find 'aptitude why' very reliable in a lot of cases.

Ditto.

> One thing I habitually do nowadays, to minimize this type of problem, is
> to also run
>
> # apt-get remove $(deborphan)
>
> and interleave that back and forth with 'apt-get autoremove' calls until
> neither one of them wants to remove anything anymore.

I do this too, but for deborphan, I use: deborphan --ignore-suggests

Now, I think that alternatives and "Provides" can confuse the
resolvers.

To know why a package is not proposed for autoremoval while it should,
I suppose that a solution is to look at the apt-get trace, e.g.

  apt-get -o Debug::pkgAutoRemove=true -s autoremove

Good luck debugging this. :)