grub menu takes very long to appear

Hey folks,

I’ve been trying to install Debian testing on an Asus x205ta laptop which has a 32-bit UEFI. The i386 architecture installs flawlessly but I am trying to install the amd64 architecture using the Debian Installer alpha 2 multi-arch image (I tried the daily images but they consistently fail with a fatal error when installing grub).

When booting the installer, it seems that I have to disable secure boot when booting the amd64 environment (the i386 installer boots and installs without any problems with secure boot enabled). It seems that as a result of needing to disable the secure boot when installing an amd64 system, the installer does not install the shim-signed package by default and therefore I have to keep secure boot disabled or install shim-signed manually after installation.

I tried installing the shim-signed package manually after the system boots but that did not work. Installing and amd64 build of the package causes boot to fail (which I think is natural). Enabling i386 architecture and trying to install 32-bit packages (apt-get install shim-signed:i386) also fails with this message: grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or –directory.

The main problem I currently have is that grub takes very long to load. I see the welcome to grub message on the screen for about 25 seconds before the boot menu finally shows up.

I have previously had experience with Debian testing on the same machine and did not have this problem. The reason I gave the background about dealing with secure boot is that this is currently my only guess about the possible cause of the problem. I have no other clue as to where to look for the possible cause of the problem. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nima