Re: javascript

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM Russell L. Harris <russell@rlharris.org> wrote:
When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
has the message,"To view this content, _javascript_ must be enabled and
Adobe Flash Player must be installed."

Sounds like an "ancient" Website.

The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/

As a lover of Classical Music, I would like to view that.

What I've done before (and could "dust off"), is to Install an old version of Ubuntu (which I used in the Olden days) inside a Virtual Machine (Virtualbox in the past, but I've been experimenting, lately with KVM/Qemu), and enjoying the Website there.

One caution:  Use that Old OS (and Browser)  *only*  for these, known Old Sites.  Don't browse the Open Internet there, unless you've taken a Snapshot, which you can Restore!

The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128

Thanks again.

I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
a _javascript_ package.  And I seem to remember that _javascript_ is not a
good thing.

It's sites like these that "inspire" those, using Windows to keep old and Insecure Technology, which then get infected by Malware.

So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
yet offered a solution.

Like I said, something old, via a Virtual Machine.  Could even be an older Windows release.  (But be Careful!)

RLH

Kenneth Parker