Re: Question Regarding sources.list

Hello Chris,

Chris Debian <csgdebian2020@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently installed Debian Bullseye with the unofficial iso that
> includes non-free firmware
> (debian-live-testing-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso).
>
> However, my sources.list file does not contain "contrib" or "non-free"
> components. Should "contrib" and "non-free" components be added to all
> of the archives to ensure system and firmware are up-to-date with
> security updates, etc?

If you want you could first find out if you actually have any software
from those archives installed on your system. I use the package "vrms",
which can list these. If you do have contrib and/or non-free software
installed, I would recommend to add "contrib" and/or "non-free" to keep
them up-to-date.

You should check if there are any files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/,
though, since those may also contain relevant configuration.

Tobias