Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Du, 12 apr 20, 15:48:08, nito@dismail.de wrote:

> > Be specific!
> >   Ok... I think *debian-user*, debian-vote and possibly debian-project
> > would be better off in Discourse. […]
> While I'm not eligible to vote in debian matters, I'd say that *especially*
> debian-vote should *not* be in discourse.
> One reason is the accessibility mentioned above, another reason is that I
> believe the absence of likes etc on debian-votes to be a *good* thing. This
> helps to avoid influencing the readers and gives all proposals a fairer chance.

It also makes it too easy to influence and/or derail the discussion,
e.g. by attrition, trolling, etc.

> Let's say supporters of one proposal are primarily using discourse and all like
> the proposal, while another proposal has roughly the same amount of supporters,
> but the supporters are using the mail interface and can't like/don't see a point
> in liking.
> This will distort perceived support for the proposals.

The rules for submitting or sponsoring actual voting proposals /
amendments etc. are clearly laid out, I don't see any danger here.

The discussion of the proposals and/or amendments however tends to
become very chaotic on controversial issues.

> Also I think that taking the time to write down what you believe to be
> good/bad about a proposal instead of +1/-1 helps everyone to get a better
> picture on the situation.

What if someone else already wrote that, possibly in better words than I
could?

Kind regards,
Andrei