Re: Debian is testing Discourse

tomas@ composed on 2020-04-12 10:58 (UTC+0200)

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:55:26AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> Interesting.

Not at all. :(

>> At least at this point my preference will depend a lot on (the
>> limitations of) the e-mail interface (didn't look into that yet).

> It's second-class, at best.

That's too much.

> I have to suffer from it in another context.
Mozilla, and others, made that switch in various contexts. I no longer actively
participate anywhere that made that switch. I've seen precipitous drops in mailing
list post arrivals where the list option has been retained after the switch. Bad
as web forums are, I dislike them less than Discourse.

Plain text, aka email, is best for reading, since I get to pick the text size and
maximize legibility automatically without screen real estate wasted on
overabundant whitespace. On mailing lists I get to keep a compact locally
searchable archive, and need not futz with scripted motion or zoom or popups or
redirects or ads or disappearing points of interest or frustrating web latency.

I have yet to see the kernel devs suckered into it, and I truly hope it does not
happen here.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/