Re: Desktop environments

Resending to list, unintentionally sent my reply off list.

On 2020-04-10 20:21, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, April 10, 2020 02:50:14 PM mick crane wrote:
Well I was thinking is a valid question.
What's the deal with these desktop environments ?
I thought is like a desktop with pictures so you know where everything
is and then you click and start a program that does something and the
desktop gets out of the way ?
Is that not the purpose ?

Well, chiming in from left field, I think that in general that is the intent,
although they often have built-in features of various sophistication to
(maybe) make things more convenient. Start with a clock on the desktop, so
you don't have to explicitly run some other program to check the time.

Do you have certain things in mind that you are think are the wrong things to
include in a desktop?

off list I guess

well I don't know, I'm a bit pissed with staying in the house
all the time but that's what I do anyway but is my choice.
I use the windows environment windows 10 a bit and I don't like it very much and I really don't want a tattoo to be my ID. Just thinking that things should do a job and not try to do anything else.

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31