Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Fri 10 Apr 2020 at 08:24:41 (-0500), Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, at 11:16 AM, John Hasler wrote:
> > It's just looking up your IP.  The method isn't reliable (it usually
> > puts me on the other side of the state) but it works more often than
> > not.
> >
> I don't believe this is the case. It's putting me right on the spot where I am.

It might be helpful if you would define 'spot'; not that I'm asking
you to give away your precise location, but does Gnome Maps know which
street you are in, or housing estate (your terminology may differ),
or region of the city.

> I live in Colombia,

Yes, I posted that, and with a precision of "district": DC.
Is that district correct, and do you see even more precision?

> I don't know if somehow ISPs here have a more detailed (precise location) database based on IP, or if that is possible at all.

There appear to be several IP→location websites, some free, some subscription.

> Is there any way I could check to see exactly where Gnome Maps is getting the location from? What is the default geolocation service installed by Gnome or Debian?

(Others responded.)

Cheers,
David.