Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 01:40:38 +0800
kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Friends!
>
> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file
> manager as root?
>
> Right now what I do is this:
>
> Open xfce4-terminal,
> Execute:  sudo thunar
> Type my password.
>
> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

I think you've been answered, but let me try the usual thing of
answering a different question.

Do you really need Thunar as root very often? I very occasionally use
Nautilus as root, so I don't mind the extra step. I'm careful to close
it immediately I've finished the job, I would be scared to leave a root
file manager open that looked exactly like my normal file manager. And
this is on a sid workstation, which is expendable.

I do almost all root work in mc, in a terminal window. There are only a
few things that a file GUI makes easier, and mc contains a simple text
editor and quite a few useful shortcuts. My server doesn't have X, so
it's mc by default there.

But the main reason is that I find it easier to remember I'm in a risky
environment when I'm using mc. I'm just automatically much more
cautious. Maybe it's distant memories of Norton Commander on DOS...

--
Joe