Re: State: stopped "Filter failed" on a Xerox Phaser 6125N. how do you troubleshoot a printer in Linux?

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> $ date; lsmod | grep usb
[...]
>  * messages in /var/log/syslog
[...]
>  * after reconnecting the USB printer cable:
[...]
>  * USB connected printer correctly detected by the USB subsystem and
> are ownerships and permissions correctly set?:
[...]
>  * printer's device ID strings
[...]

>  I don't think exactly where the problem may be/how to troubleshoot the problem?

For me it looks like your printer is correctly installed regarding
hardware connection, but no guaranty.

The more interesting question is: why does the Filter fail?

Maybe the filter, which is defined in the printer PPD file, has wrong
permissions or is missing?

Have a closer look at /var/log/cups/error_log

Maybe you've to enable Loglevel "info" or "debug" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
before, followed by a "systemctl restart cups":
	LogLevel info

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27