Re: Goal: a specialized inventory of installed packages

On Du, 05 apr 20, 11:59:17, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I did a test run. I think I see the pattern of which packages it marks as
> manual.
> E.G. It shows systemd related items as "manual". But for *MY* purposes I
> would class them as "auto". That will not be a problem in practice. I'll
> just do what the installer thinks is an absolute minimal install and run
> 'apt-mark showmanual' against it. I'll save that list. Then create a script
> to ignore those lines when 'apt-mark showmanual' is run against my actual
> system.

Something I used to do for similar purposes[1] was to mark everything as
auto installed and then mark as manual the packages I was actually using
(typically things like mutt, GUI/TUI browser, etc.).

This was done using aptitude's interactive mode (not sure if apt-mark
even existed at the time), as I could easily see what aptitude wanted to
keep or remove.

If you intend to also *remove* packages based on this approach do mind
the settings for "APT::AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant" and
"APT::AutoRemove::SuggestsImportant".

[1] I stopped doing this because I found the optimization was not worth
the time spent.

Kind regards,
Andrei