Re: completion prompting

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 02:31:06PM +0200, grumpy@mailfence.com wrote:
with bash completion returns a message like
Display all 129 possibilities? (y or n)
how can i turn this off

I don't know what you mean by "turning this off".

The helper doing this is the readline library. Your shell picks
configuration for readline from the files /etc/inputrc and
~/.inputrc.

There is one variable which limits the maximum number of possible
completions shown (default is 100). The variable is called

 completion-query-items

So, if I understood you correctly, you might experiment with putting

 set completion-query-items 1000

in your file ~/.inputrc. Or you set it to a negative number, then
you're never asked (do at your own risk :-)

See bash's man page, section READLINE, and the readline man page.

But perhaps I didn't understand you correctly.

Cheers
-- t

that's is exactly what i was attempting to say
if i am reading the man page correctly
there is not a very fine control
i wrote a script that runs in bash
i would like to disable prompting for only this script

$if my_script
set completion-query-items -1
$endif

but this does not work