Re: Issue with package kept back

On 4/1/20 3:45 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2020-04-01 15:17 -0500, Dutch Ingraham wrote:

I'm having a problem on an x86_64 install running sid.  Specifically,
the package phonon-backend-gstreamer-common will not upgrade from v.
4.9.1-1 to what is currently (since 2019-11-06) in sid, v. 4.10.0-1.

When I do my normal apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, I receive
the message "The following packages have been kept back:
   phonon-backend-gstreamer-common"

I have been receiving this message since last November when the package
repo was upgraded.  Thinking this was a temporary library mismatch or an
out-of-sync mirror, I waited.  However, finally realizing the issue
would not sort itself out, I searched the web for solutions.  While
there were suggestions, none of them result in the package being
upgraded.  Some of the suggestions I have tried are:

1. Run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
2. Run sudo apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade
3. Run sudo apt-get install phonon-backend-gstreamer-common
4. Run sudo apt-get install phonon-backend-gstreamer-common=4:4.10.0-1
5. Run sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
6. Run sudo aptitude full-upgrade
7. Attempt to purge phonon-backend-gstreamer-common and reinstall.

1, 2, and 3 above result in the kept-back message.
4 and 7 result in the proposed removal of an uncomfortable list of
packages [1].
5 results in: "No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed."
6 results in a similarly uncomfortable list of solutions. [2]

I suspect the problem lies with some other package, maybe one of those
the "aptitude full-upgrade" command suggested, but I can't grok what.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I think the problem is that the phonon-backend-gstreamer binary package
has been dropped in version 4:4.9.1-2, and it has a strict dependency on
the phonon-backend-gstreamer-common package.  And you seem to have
obsolete packages (kaccessible, kopete) that require
phonon-backend-gstreamer.

Ask yourself if you really need these old packages, and remove them if
the answer is no.

Cheers,
        Sven

Obsolete packages was the problem - TIL.  All better now - thanks!