Re: Things Kids Shouldn't Do at Home

On 2020-04-01 18:07, Martin McCormick wrote:

>>  Out of curiosity, I wondered what might happen if I had
>> two thumb drives containing the same UUID.

Nothing bad really unless the system is supposed to boot from one of them and both are present in the system at boot time.

I have two HDDs (main one and backup one) where partitions on the backup HDD have the same UUIDs as partitions on the main HDD. This was done on purpose to simplify backups and to have backup HDD to be readily available to replace the main HDD. I copied data between the two of them many times without any issues whatsoever.

If necessary, you can change UUID with tune2fs:
# tune2fs /dev/{device} -U {uuid}

Regards,