Re: Small Open Source Digital Classroom

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 07:09:35PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
Actually, *no* official Debian repository currently contains Jitsi. It
was removed in 2017, apparently due to QA issues, although I don't know
the whole story:

Perhaps the problem was nothing more than a conflict with another
package in the Debian distribution.  Besides, that was three years
ago.  And Jitsi has a Debian package which I have installed on Debian
9; it is running properly.
I spent some time today trying to find a libre alternative to Zoom,
preferably one in the Debian repos, but came up empty. The closest I
found were indeed Jitsi Meet (a part of the much larger Jitsi
project)...

It appears to me that Jitsi has something for everyone.  With nothing
more than a headset and a camera (camera optional) you can conference
via WebRTC on Jitsi.  Are you concerned about bandwith?  Log in
and give it a try; it is free.  Or you can install Jitsi and run your own
server.  And Jitsi is open source.  What more could you ask?

I'm actually puzzled by why there doesn't seem to be any easy, solid
libre alternative to Zoom.

Jitsi is easy.  Do you have reason to say that the current release of
Jitsi is not "solid"?  And is Zoom worthy of consideration?

RLH