Re: Best practice regarding Ruby gems installation on Buster

l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> Hi Dan, Alex,
>
> 28 mars 2020 ?? 16:46 de dsr@randomstring.org:
>
> > We run an environment-setting script that points each user to
> > the desired ruby and gems directories, which we put in
> > /opt/ruby-$VERSION on each machine. If you want to test your
> > program against different versions, it's as easy as running a
> > different script.
> >
> > Effectively, we have the Debian ruby environment that is
> > compatible with whatever Debian wants, and we have our local
> > ruby environments which we use to build software.
> >
> Thanks for sharing your experience :)
>
> So if I've quite understood, at work you have 2 ruby environments:
> * /usr/bin/ruby ->??ruby-$VERSIONX: you let Debian deal with it and you personally don't mess with it, except for updating Ruby and its gems when Debian itself provides new versions.
> * /opt/ruby-$VERSIONY: you have your own gem repository so you and your colleagues can install/update/remove any gem depending on your specific needs.
> Right?

We don't touch the Debian-provided Ruby at all; if something
we've installed *for the system* wants Ruby, the Debian Ruby
environment provides it. For systems administration, we think
that the Debian Ruby folks know what they are doing.

/opt/ruby-$VERSION (and there can be a bunch of them) contains
both packaged ruby binaries and gem libraries pulled from our
own repo. For developing our own software, we want more recent
versions and we want tight control over which versions we use.

-dsr-