Re: Memory Leaks or Mem. being misreported

	Hi.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:48:38PM +0200, nito@dismail.de wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:04:36PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > >  afirefox: After using an affected Firefox profile
> >
> > Ok, let's breakdown it (left is aboot, right is afirefox).
> > Here we see about 2Gb of memory consumed:
> >
> > MemFree:        32124660 kB / MemFree:        30144704 kB
> >
> > Such discrepancy can be attributed, first, […]
> >
> > Summing it up, it gives us 668382 kB of discrepancy.
> > […]
> > So the big question is - where 650M of memory gone? My money is on
> > kernel modules. Maybe it's Intel's VideoRAM steal (don't know if AMD do
> > it the same way). Maybe it's some proprietary kernel module.
> >
> > I know no way of accounting memory usage of kernel module, but I can
> > spot some possible candidates from "lsmod" output.
>
> Thanks.
> Afaik there are no proprietary kernel modules in the default buster install and
> I did not install proprietary modules either. BUT I did install proprietary
> firmware for the devices.

That's an important distinction here. Firmware does not eat RAM, modules
do.

> Here's the lsmod output
> (while some programs are running in case that's relevant):

Ok, from the most possible offender to the least one:

> amdgpu               5373952  26
> snd_usb_audio         290816  0
> ledtrig_audio          16384  1 snd_hda_codec_generic
> cec                    49152  1 drm_kms_helper
> kvm_amd               114688  0
> r8169                  90112  0

I'm not saying that you should poke'em with "modprobe -r" - unloading
these would be difficult if possible at all - I'm saying that a
bugreport is in order.

If possible, I'd test it headless - i.e. reboot with amdgpu blacklisted,
run firefox in TightVNC, watch the results. But that raises the question
whenever your rig will boot at all without the operational videocard, so
I'd put it into the "desperate measures" category.

Reco