Re: Memory Leaks or Mem. being misreported

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:12:52AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Did this cause a problem, or are you chasing a number you don't
> like?
I avoided possible problems until now, as every time I expected to need a lot
of memory and the "used memory" was larger than expected I rebooted beforehand.
Also not understanding why this happens or possibly having misunderstood how
to read (h)top's and free's memory usage is a problem in itself and might also
lead to further problems in the future.

> What different hardware have you tried?
I am mainly comparing these two setups, but have briefly tried
some other hardware as well:

          | Previously (unaff.)  | Current (affected)
——————————+——————————————————————+———————————————————
CPU       | AMD Athlon II X3 450 | AMD Ryzen 7 2700
GPU       | AMD Radeon RX580     | AMD Radeon RX 580
Mainboard | AsRock 770 Extreme3  | ASUS X570 TUF-Gaming
RAM       | 3×2GB  DDR3-1333     | 2×16GB  DDR4-2800

Debian and Manjaro were freshly installed after the hardware change,
Ubuntu was kept for a while but is now removed.
Ubuntu 18.04 did not show this behaviour with the old hardware
and kernels 4.15, 5.0, 5.3 (from Ubuntu repos) and various
versions of 5.4.xy (vanilla)  but  did show this behaviour
with the new hardware and kernels 5.3 and 5.0(from repo) and various
vanilla 5.4 versions.
I did not test Ubuntu with new hardware and kernel 4.15.

> This all looks fine. You are barely using your memory. See the
> available number at the end? That's what would be available for
> programs that want to use it.
In all 3 instances there were only some daemons, the X-Server, WM and
one terminal running as I closed all other applications beforehand.
(including Firefox).
Also this is not the biggest memory increase I observed, as I said
this "idle usage" can increase to several GiB.

-----

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 05:10:07PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> /proc/meminfo (please *do not soft* it), and the output of slabtop.
> If you're need to understand where all that memory gone - you're in need
> of proper tools.

Thanks. I will look into it this later this day.

Nils