Re: Any way to install debian without overwriting the existing grub?

* On 2020 27 Mar 04:20 -0500, kaye n wrote:
> Hello Friends!
>
> I have a non-Debian distro installed on the hard drive so naturally it
> already has grub.
>
> Is there a way I can install Debian on the same hard drive without
> overwriting the existing grub?

Yes.  As I recall, just simply skipping through the Grub steps in the
installer should suffice.  Then you'll need to boot the other distro and
use its mechanism for updating Grub so that Debian is in its menu and
you then can boot into Debian.

Debian does include the osprobe feature to discover other installations
and add them to the Grub menu controlled by Debian by default.  Only
caveat is that you need to decide which distro takes care of Grub and
when something changes on the other, such as a kernel upgrade, boot into
the controlling distro, update Grub, and then boot back into Debian.

> Thank you for your time!

YW

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us