Re: Night light, sunset and sunrise times in Gnome

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:43:31 PM David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 24 Mar 2020 at 19:05:32 (-0500), Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 23:31 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > I do remember that Redshift used to require that you set a location in
> > order to have the automatic sunset/sunrise times working.
> >
> > > I have found that Night Light is activated very gradually. You won't
> > > see
> > > an immediate and abrupt change at the relevant times.
> >
> > I am aware of the gradual change. The issue is that the change is
> > starting to happen a bit (about an hour) later than it should.

IIUC, the program under discussion tries to predict the exact time of sunrise
and sunset in your current location?

Just to amplify the importance of location (I'm sure most people on this list
already know this), a time zone is about 1000 miles wide (east / west) at the
equator and maybe up to even 50 degrees latitude (north or south), and that
represents 60 minutes of time (and about 15 degrees of rotation of the earth).

Thus, an inaccuracy of ~17 (16 2/3) miles in your east/west location means an
inaccuracy of 1 minute in time.