Re: Buster without systemd?

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 00:04:18 +0000
Michael Howard <mike@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/03/2020 23:20, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:15:14 +0000
> > Michael Howard <mike@dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:

> >> It can be upgraded to 'beowulf' using apt of course.
> > I did that some months ago with Ascii running in Virtualbox.  And it did
> > work, but there were enough problems then that it wasn't suitable
> > for general use -- just evaluation. Perhaps there have been
> > improvements since then, but I'll wait for Beowulf to be officially
> > released before checking it out again.  Currently, I'll stick with
> > Stretch running sysvinit until long term support for ceases.

> I guess it depends exactly what is installed but I have upgraded
> via this route a number of times.

I wasn't implying that it wouldn't work.  It's just when I did it
(Fall 2019) Beowulf was less mature and had problems.  I wasn't
expecting it to be stable quality.  I just wanted to evaluate it since
I had problems with Buster trying to keep systemd's init from
wiping out sysvinit and reinstalling itself everytime I installed
something.  Infuriating!

FWIW: My Ascii test install in Virtualbox mirrored my Stretch install:
Basic terminal plus system utilities, X, a window manager (Openbox),
single LXPanel, etc.  No bells and whistles or eye candy. KISS. So, its
upgrade to Beowulf resulted in the same.