Another possible device (was: Re: OT: Questions about (buying and) using a laptop docking station)

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 08:37:48 PM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> In that other thread, I point out that I decided to buy a Wavlink 3.0

> docking station (with HDMI, DVI, and VGA video outputs) (on sale today at

> Newegg) and a dual USB 3.0 ExpressCard on ebay (for under $10).

Hmm, just by accident today, I came across another device that could possibly do the job (in kind of a MacGyver-like approach ;-)

I'll give a link to it, mention the price, point out the problems that might prevent it from doing the job, before I say that I don't plan to dig any deeper at this time because I already ordered the Wavlink device.

The device is described as:

USB C Hub VGA, OMARS 4-in-1 Aluminum 1080P VGA Adapter + 3 USB 3.0 Ports Compatible with New MacBook, MacBook Pro 2016/2017, Google ChromeBook Pixel, Huawei Matebook and Other Type C Devices

And then goes on to say:

  • 4 Extra Ports to Get More Done: this usb c adapter extends one USB C port by 3* USB 3.0 ports and 1* VGA port on Apple Macbook, Google Chrome Pixel, or other Type C compatible devices.
  • VGA Input for 1080P Videos: Makes it easier than ever to mirror or extend your device's screen and enjoy 4K UHD or Full HD 1080p videos on HDTV, secondary monitors, or projectors

The link is:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00JW-00011?item=9SIAC628WW9820

The price is shown as $9.99 at Newegg, but it doesn't say free shipping, so I'm sure shipping is not free. The same device is available on ebay for as little as $12.99 with free shipping (and other vendors on ebay for significantly more).

The difficulties / my questions:

* the VGA port is described as a "VGA Input" -- I don't believe that, I believe it is a VGA output based on other verbiage and such, but that would need to be confirmed.

* The device is designed to plug into a USB C port on the laptop, so I'm thinking there are two possibilities (for connection to my Dell Inspiron 1501 with neither USB-C nor USB 3.0 connections.

(Aside: It does have USB 2.0 connections, of which I'm not sure of the speed -- Wikipedia says the normal speed of a USB 2.0 port is (iirc) 12 Mbps, and a high speed USB 2.0 port is 480 mbps -- I no longer really care, as I've ordered an expresscard with two USB 3.0 ports to install in the laptop.)

The two possiblities:

* if there is such a thing as an expresscard with USB-c port(s), that would seem to be a possiblity

* because the device is a USB hub, maybe the laptop could be connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports

Like I say, I ordered the Wavlink device, so at this time, I have no need to pursue this other device any further, but maybe it would prove useful to someone else.