Re: Applet to find internet status

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 19:54:29 +0000
Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com> wrote:

> I am looking for an applet (a simple one) which indicates the
> connectivity to internet (perhaps green when connected to internet and
> red/orange when connected but no internet access). I am struggling to
> search for this in google. Please could someone point me to this if
> there is any ?

Possibly because it would be hard to write one?

All your computer knows is its IP address and netmask, and the address
to which to send packets it cannot otherwise route. Whether any of that
is the Internet is entirely a matter of situation and opinion.

You could do what NetworkManager, WICD and some other connection
managers do, and indicate whether the computer has a connection to one
or more hosts, but those may be entirely on some isolated intranet.

You could write a program using ICMP packets to see if you have any
sort of connectivity to some arbitrary host(s) out there, and call that
"Internet connectivity". But that too is arbitrary, and a matter of
opinion.

Experience has taught me that if I can get email from my server, I
probably have access to most of the Internet. Not the same thing, but a
good working proxy. For me.

As you can see, the terms get really slippery and fuzzy when you start
to look closely.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com