Re: About "Debian is independent of the linux kernel"

On 03/05/2020 03:20 PM, Yongxian.Yao wrote:
> Hi
>

> Recently, I want to use the linux-4.9.90 on Debian9.12,but I doubts when compiling the kernel.
> 1、Is it necessary to use the config-4.9.0-12 to compile the linux-4.9.90 kernel?
Yes, it is usually a good Idea to start with their config file and change those entries that you need. It tends to mostly(tm) work with the original source tree.
You will still have to tweak and compile at least three times to get the thing to boot.
> 2、Does Debian9.12 have any special kernel configuration?
The boot process usually works through an initrd disk image
which holds a bunch of loadable modules. You have to be careful
that the file system of the initrd image is compiled into the kernel.
and you want to build all the relevant modules to use your
disk controllers and filesystems and stuff or boot process will not complete.

> 3、How to understand that the Debian distribution is independent of the linux kernel?
They also have BSD kernel and HURD kernel and such...