Re: ntp questions

On Sun 15 Mar 2020 at 12:33:30 (+0000), G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > ... What I wanted was to sync to the debian servers with this
> > machine, and then let it broadcast to the rest of the local network,
>
> Some observations about ntpd and NTP in general:
>
> 1. Unless you're running a time laboratory, don't use ntpd.  Use chrony.
> In my experience it's much more forgiving, easier to configure and does
> the job it needs to do for those of us who are happy with accuracies in
> the order of a couple of milliseconds.  I used ntpd for decades.  Since
> I started using chrony a few years ago it has been *much* less trouble,
> and I no longer feel the need to be subscribed to a 'time' mailing list.
> This has the happy side-effect that I also don't need to worry about
> being berated by some NTP guru for using a Linux box as a time server.

For some reason, which I didn't discover, chrony wouldn't correct a
5-sec error for me, but that was many versions back. I must admit that
I didn't find anything to configure in either chrony or ntp, using
them just as they came out of the box. I still do.

> 2. If you must use your own server, in addition to them use a pool of
> remote time servers such as provided by Debian.  You really don't want
> the time on your network hunting around following a single rogue box
> after it unexpectedly rebooted with the wrong time.  Please use the
> 'makestep' chrony directive on machines which aren't running 24/7; by
> all means use prefer, iburst etc. if you feel the need.

IIRC   makestep 1 3   was in chrony's default configuration.

Cheers,
David.