Re: normalize audio in mp4s

Quoting ghe (2020-03-09 21:23:54)

> > Please note that the subject of this conversation is mp4 (not mp3).
>
> It's claimed that sox will handle mp4:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2666425/how-to-i-configure-sox-to-work-on-mp4
>
> (You do have to install LAME.)

In Debian, install libsox-fmt-mp3 (which links to liblame).

> > If you only process uncompressed audio then sox is fine.
>
> It will do the mp's and flac. That I know of -- there may be others.

Yes, sox supports _some_ compression formats.  Far less than ffmpeg, and
only audio, not video, and ffmpeg supports all those formats and many
more.

So you only process audio and only in a format supported by sox, then
sox is fine too.

If you don't want to fiddle with figuring out if your particular format
is supported by sox, then use ffmpeg.

Shorter version of above: Use sox for uncompressed audio, ffmpeg for
compressed audio and video.

It might be that sox has some support for AAC encoded m4a streams in an
MPEG4 container.  I would however be quite surprised (even by that but
also) if sox supported leaving other streams in such MPEG4 container
alone, and supported reencoding to AAC and putting it back into the
container, with audio-video sync intact.

The OP talked about normalizing music videos.  I assume that the OP
wanted to to not only _listen_ to normalized music videos but also watch
them.

My assumption might be totally wrong, in which case sox is a fine tool
for the task.

> It normalizes things too. I do that in flac. I don't know if it
> normalizes mp's.

Sox is a nice tool, for what it can do.

I was under the impression that it was unsuitable for the needs of the
OP.

 - Jonas