Re: failure to install debian

On 2020-03-08 20:43, kaye n wrote:
Hello Friends!

I messed up my Debian so I'm trying re-install with a live USB, however it
always fails. I get this message:

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader".

Command 'grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi
--bootloader-id=Debian --force' returned non-zero exit status 1.

Installing for x86_64-efi platform. grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI
variable Boot0000. grub-install: warning: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to
fd 7 failed: No space left on device. grub-install: warning:
_efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No space left on
device. grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No
space left on device.

Traceback:

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py",
line 444, in run

     prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

   File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py",
line 411, in prepare_bootloader

     install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

   File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py",
line 285, in install_grub

     "--force"])

   File "<string>", line 8, in <module>

I thought the problem was my live USB, but when I used another Debian
live USB (that was proven to be a successful installer),

I get the same result.

I did not resize the debian partitions, I merely reformatted it.

Thank you very much for your time!

kaye

Installation is more predictable if you erase the primary and/or backup partition tables on the target drive before installing Debian.

The old-school solution is to boot the Debian Installer into a rescue shell, use lsblk(8) and parted(8) to find the target drive and number of sectors, and use dd(1) to copy /dev/zero to the first megabyte and the last megabyte of the target drive. If you are concerned about leftover data from the previous install (imaging, security), you can copy /dev/zero to the entire target drive. If you choose the latter, be sure to increase the block size; I use 'bs=1M'.

Some SSD's feature Secure Erase, which erases every block on the drive. This has the added benefit that subsequent writes will proceed at maximum speed until all the blocks have been written once. I don't know the command line incantations to do this, so I use a GUI tool from the drive manufacturer.

Most of my SSD's are Intel. Unfortunately, the Intel SSD Toolbox requires Windows:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/80096/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/intel-ssd-toolbox.html

Most of my HDD's are Seagate. SeaTools Bootable is, well, bootable, which I like. But, it doesn't like USB 3.0 ports, which can be a problem:

    https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Other drive manufacturers produce similar tools.

David