Re: Is there a way to load/unload a firmware manually?

Note: I unintenionally sent this to deloptes (only) off list.  He has already
responded, I'll copy his response to the list in a minute.

From the peanut gallery (at least with respect to this thread -- in other
words, at least a little "off thread" (but not quite off topic, imho):

I'm puzzled about the discussion about loading firmware with the driver (iiuc,
when the driver is loaded).

My (past?) understanding of firmware is that it is software that is loaded into
what I'll call an external device (although it could be a "smart" internal
device -- something that needs and can run some software to make it work
"properly" (for some definition of properly).

But also that it is loaded into some variation of persistent memory (eProm or
similar) -- thus, you don't have to install firmware each time you connect to a
device (well, I mean, each time the driver for a device is installed into the
"host" device), but only on rare ocassions (sp?) when the firmware needs to be
updated.

I guess the meaning of firmware has changed somewhat??