Re: About "Debian is independent of the linux kernel"

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:25:07PM +0800, Yongxian.Yao wrote:
> Recently, I want to use the linux-4.9.90 on Debian9.12,

Why?  The kernel shipped by Debian for stretch is newer than this
(upstream version 4.9.210 currently).

>but I doubts when compiling the kernel.

If you want to use an *old* kernel, you might not even need to compile
it.  You might simply be able to use one of the old linux-image-*
packages.  It depends on why you want an older kernel.

> 1、Is it necessary to use the config-4.9.0-12 to compile the linux-4.9.90 kernel?

That configuration file is for the 4.9.210 (or thereabouts) kernel
source, so it may or may not work with your older source tree.

You might have better luck starting with a configuraton file for
whichever stretch kernel is closest to the old source tree you're
trying to build.

> 2、Does Debian9.12 have any special kernel configuration?

Too vague.  Let's go with "Yes".

> 3、How to understand that the Debian distribution is independent of the linux kernel?

You can build a custom kernel and boot it.  That custom kernel is
yours, and you are the one who will be responsible for supporting it.

You could even use a kernel from some other distribution, but once
again, you're the one who's responsible if it doesn't work.