Re: scp overwriting precaution?

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 21:48:40 -0600
Greg Marks <gtmarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> When using scp to copy files from my server to my laptop (both running
> Debian 10 and both with the same directory tree), I like to back up
> the files in case I discover that I've overwritten a newer version of
> a file with an older version.

Others have mentioned rsync, which will do what you want.

Or you can automate the whole kazoo with syncthing. Nextcloud will do
much the same, but is overkill if you don't use any other functions.

As Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user@dow.land> pointed out, it sounds
like you don't have a proper backup system in place. Some thoughts to
get you started:
http://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?