Re: Net Install: Understanding the wifi drivers

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 15:19:06 -0500
John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net> wrote:

From my experience with my small herd of Thinkpads....

>   - Where does the installation script derive the list of "missing
> firmware files"?

I am guessing here that it detects an Intel controller that requires one
of the binary blobs in the iwlwifi package.

> Does it in fact mean that it wants all in the list,
> or will just one do?

It wants one.

> If the latter, does it mean that /any/ one in
> the list will do?

It wants a specific one, the one appropriate to your WiFi controller.
Unless the blob is in more than one file; in that case it wants only
those files. In either case, providing the package should be sufficient.

If you can install over Ethernet, I recommend you do so. It's simpler
than fiddling with binary blobs.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com