(OT) Resolved: Windows partition filling up (quickly) while Windows is running but not doing anything

I've learned a few surprising things about Windows that I thought I'd share
with the list.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows Vista (on which I'm installing
Buster but want to keep Windows to update my Garmin GPS once or twice a year).

When I was booted into Windows (Vista) on this machine, I found that the
Windows partition was being filled up with something (free space decreased from
about 2 GB to almost nothing) while I was getting ready to download and
install the Garmin update software.

I eventually realized that, apparently, Windows was downloading files in order
to update itself (maybe even to automatically upgrade to Windows 10).

I found the way to stop automatic upgrade of Windows (Vista) and then deleted
the files that were being "staged" for the update.

Unfortunately, it's been about two weeks since I did that, and I don't recall
either the exact command / steps to disable the automatic update, nor do I
remember where those files were stored.