Re: *nix

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 14:20:01 +0100 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 16 feb 20, 03:36:44, ghe wrote:
>
>> Complexity of the software is for us programmers to deal with.
>> Making the programs useful for a user can be one of the problems
>> in our writing and design. That, I think, is what they meant by
>> "One program doing the job well" -- users have a collection of
>> reasonably straightforward and simple tools to do things, and
>> the tools work. The screwdrivers and cork screws and knife blades
>> can be piped together, you know. Or called in a script.
>
> To find out how many items I have in my mpd playlist I would run
> something like 'mpc playlist | wc -l'. In order to rearrange the
> playlist I would rather use a GUI client so I can just drag and
> drop songs around.
>
> Sure it's possible to do either task with the other tool (TIMTOWTDI),
> it's just that one is more efficient than the other for the
> specific user, situation and / or environment (e.g. I might
> prefer a TUI interface if I don't have a mouse connected).
>
> None of the approaches will be able to solve all use cases and the
> line between loose | tight integration is very much personal opinion.
>
> Just use whatever works for you.

If you can.  I really resent the increasing amount of coercion
toward using GUIs (no keyboard equivalents for menus, etc.) that
I'm seeing in modern software.  Even in Linux, many window managers'
file requesters don't provide a place where you can type a file
specification, requiring you to point and click your way up and
down directory trees to get to where you want to go.

I am a skilled touch typist, and not being allowed to use my keyboard
cripples me.  Any designer who does this to me deliberately is on my
enemies list.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  Apple is a cult.