Re: *nix

On Saturday 15 February 2020 16:03:02 ghe wrote:

> [...]

No, it hasn't been anything resembling recent,  Glenn. Remember that in
1978, the 6809, z80 were in the future, and the then current crop of
smart sand was things like the 8085, the cdp-1802, and possibly the
ti9900 were state of the art, memory was still gawdauful expensive and
Dynax was the king of disk drives spinning a 14" disk with the head
positioning done by a very recalcitrantly driven voice coil about 4" in
diameter Disk capacity of such a monster was 5 megabytes. The tv station
I was the ACE at the time had a to9900 based mainframe with 2 or 3
terminals in traffic had an uptime of maybe 12 hours a week because one
of its 2 disk drives needed a recalibration that took 6 to 12 hours to
do. The 9900 had a multitasking os that was also used in the ti-99/4
home computer, an interesting software approach to how to do
multitasking, not by stacking its registers but by switching its one
memory pointer that pointed at its register images in memory, so an
interrupt was handled by pointing the register at the memory occupied by
the interrupt handler. All this wasn't unix but it outran the unix of
the day by a fair margin. But it eventually lost that battle as unix got
better at running multiple copies of cpu's tp gain thruput. My first
intro to unix was the AT&T 3B2. A moto 68000 based this that was
basically a fire starter looking for a place to burn up as it did so
several times while serving as the first email server dedicated to
receive messages from CBS about programming data. After the first smoke
party we put it on a metal table. But in those days unix only ran on
those moto cpu's.

Fast fwd from 78-84 to 2020 and our linux is running on the darndest
collection of cpu and machine architecture, whose variations to run on
whatever is in the box, variations that seem to be approaching the
famous !69 test of good ti calculators. It is in some circles built from
src and runs only on that motherboard, or its built to run on certain
families of similar architectures, but every driver today has to have a
lookup table to determine how to run on this variation. But in becoming
the universal operating system also means the average install has a
couple gigabytes in the boot files that never see an execution because
its not built to run on his hardware. But today, gigabytes of memory are
cheap, I just pair about half of what I paid for 4k of static ram I had
to solder up on an s-100 card, that 4k of static ram cost $400 then but
a couple months back I bought 32GIGs of memory forthis machine after a
fire in a usb2 port on the mainboard put it out of business.  Just how
effective is this run on what you find today?

This HD I'm booting from has an install from the old board with debian 9
on it, but when this drive found it was not running on a 4 core phenom,
it never even had to clear its throat to boot up on a new Asus
motherboard with an 9th generation core i5 6 core cpu.

I think thats doing pretty good and I wouldn't change it w/o a fight.

Right now I've in the last week, I've built and installed a new
preempt-rt kernel on that rpi4, needed to run any moving machinery, then
git cloned linuxcnc-master from github, to that rpi4's added ssd's, set
a couple environment vars, and half an hour later I have debs that
install LinuxCNC on this rpi4 and its running a 75 yo 11x54 Sheldon
lathe I converted to cnc, making it do tricks the original could not do
in 75 years of trying.

And I could take both src trees to x86 hardware and build and run it just
as sweet.

I have built 3 other machines that are doing exactly that. But why bother
when I can get those from the buidbot.linuxcnc.org site. x86 hardware is
available for peanuts at just about any yard sale.

Its progress and light years ahead of the situation in 1978 when I had to
solder every part to make a dumb little computer run a u-matic tape deck
to reduce the aired commercial by one dub level and improve our aired
image a lot ANd install the cue tones to make stuffing 5 30 second
commercials into a 2:30 network break, a 1 button operation with enough
time left over to show a 1 second station id.  Yeah, I'm a retired
broadcast engineer. And a CET.

> ​--
> Glenn English

Cheers, Gene Heskett