Re: Best file system to use?

Didar Hossain wrote:

> I have been using XFS for data on dual HDD (RAID1->LVM->LUKS->XFS) on
> Debian Stretch for more than a year, haven't experienced issues yet. OS is
> on Ext4 on SDD. I use Urbackup (www.urbackup.org) to backup multiple
> Windows machines to this box as well as Samba for simple shares.
>
> I stayed away from Btrfs after hearing a lot of negative stories. ZFS on
> FreeBSD is probably better if you need that kind of reliability. I am a
> one man show currently managing the tech, so I don't really have that kind
> of mental bandwidth to learn and setup FreeBSD+ZFS right now. But, you may
> explore that path if you have the time.

Exactly and we've been running ~10 TBs of disks in RAID1 or RAID5 for long
enough on XFS on multiple machines and setups.

I think XFS is mature enough.

If you are happy use it - remember the rule: "do not touch a running
system"?

Better look in advantages/disadvantages to make your decision. For example
XFS could not shrink AFAIR. Never had to do so - but had to shrink ext4 and
was happy to have ext4 there. It might have changed on XFS side though I do
not believe.

Tuning the systems is also a thing to consider if performance or reliability
is in focus.

regards