Re: Best file system to use?

Hi Dennis,

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 05:55:52PM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I have 4TB running on an AMD Ryzen under Buster. What is the current
> consensus of the best file system to use for general data usage?

If your 4TB isn't composed of at least one more drive for redundancy
then for me all questions of which filesystem to use would be moot.
Storage is fairly cheap compared to the hassle of having to eat the
downtime and restore from backup, when a non-redundant drive dies.

With redundancy sorted out, ZFS is probably technically the best
filesystem but is perhaps complicated, slightly inflexible and with
other disadvantages related to being developed and shipped
externally to the kernel.

If that puts you off of ZFS, (ext4 or XFS)-on-LVM-on-mdraid are fine
choices, just accept that bitrot can happen.

I do not recommend btrfs and anyone who does should have a look at
the linux-btrfs mailing list to see how many cases of data loss and
loss of availability people have reported this month.

Cheers,
Andy