Re: ufw and iptables not playing nice in testing with recent upgrade

On 12/02/2020 05:03, riveravaldez wrote:
On 2/11/20, songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:
   something in there didn't work today when i applied
the upgrade.

   i don't have time to debug or file reports at the moment,
so was able to partially downgrade to get a working connection
again.

   put my hold back on iptables.  i'd had a hold on it for
a while due to reported errors.  no idea why i decided i
should try to let it go through this morning.  i'm kinda
tied up for a few weeks...

Maybe similar. Yesterday, after dist-upgrade and reboot the network
interface seemed not to be working (for instance, none ping
worked/responded), it gave me the impression of a driver issue so
rebooted and tried with a previous kernel, that seemed to solve
partially the situation.

Right now:

$ uname -a
Linux debian 5.4.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.4.8-1 (2020-01-05) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The first symptom (with the more recent kernel) was a message at boot
about UFW not being able to start (or something similar). That message
didn't appeared when I booted with the previous kernel (the one I'm
using right now).

Not sure of anything. Let me know if I can do something to diagnose
this situation properly.

Just informing in the hope it's of some utility.

Regards!

Hi, running a 5.4 and 5.5 self compiled kernels for a while and it is my experience too that ufw/gufw are broken. I switched to firewalld and associated graphical config utilities on the affected machines, purging iptables in the process. On the other hand shorewall + iptables seems to work fine so far. From what I remember reading iptables is on it's way out anyway (correct me if i am wrong).

Hope it helps.